Buckner Restoration Branch
1999 Revised Edition with 2009 Amendment
- The members of the Buckner Restoration Branch consider themselves to be a continuation of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints as reorganized in 1860, and continuing in practice until changes were made in April 1984. As a result of those changes this branch is independent of that institution.
- We believe the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ is alive in this branch And this branch is a part of Christ's Church in this day.
- We are not a separate denomination, nor have we formed a new church. This will continue to be our condition until further instruction is received from the Lord and accepted by the branch.
- We believe we must preach, teach, practice, and adhere to the doctrine of Jesus Christ as taught by Him, and as restored in these latter days, until the Kingdom of God shall be established on earth.
Article I - Statement of Belief:
The Holy Scriptures:
- The Holy Scriptures (Bible): is the divinely sanctioned Word of God; it contains the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ. The inspired version was produced under divine direction and is the standard version of this branch.
- The Book of Mormon: is divinely translated Scripture; it contains the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ. It is a true account of God's dealing with the ancient Americans. The 1908 edition is the standard edition of the Church.
- The book of Doctrine and Covenants: (Sections 1-144) is divinely Revealed Scripture and is open canon. It is to be used instead of the Book Of commandments. (The history of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Vol. 1 Pages 573-575 and Vol. 3 page 215).
- The Law of the Church: is contained in the three above named standard Books, and their teachings must be adhered to in matters of faith, doctrine and practice. (Doctrine and Covenants 42:16).
The Epitome of Faith:
- The Epitome of Faith written by Joseph Smith Jr. is a summary of our beliefs (see Times and Seasons 3: 709-710; RLDS History Vol. 2, pages 569-570).
- We believe in God the eternal Father and His only begotten Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost, which is the mind of the Father and the Son, And who bears record of The Father and The Son. We believe that God The Father and Jesus Christ The Son are two separate personages, but equal in Power and dominion. The belief that there is only one personage in the Godhead is false doctrine. The statement concerning the Godhead found in Lectures on Faith. Lecture number 5, expresses our understanding.
Joseph Smith, Jr.:
- We believe that Joseph Smith, Jr., was a true prophet of God, and his experiences, such as the vision in Palmyra's grove and the obtaining of the Book of Mormon plates, are actual facts of history. History further records that he never prophesied, taught, or practiced polygamy, but considered it evil and opposed it at every opportunity.
Article II - Membership Policy:
- We invite all to our branch worship services, classes, and social activities.
- The sacrament of the Lord's Supper is normally observed on the first Sunday of each month and everyone is invited to attend. However, we are Close communionists, and only members and those persons whose baptism and confirmation are recognized by this branch may partake.
- All active members as of July 1, 1999 shall be voting members.
- All members whose transfer has been accepted by branch vote of approval have voting rights.
persons meeting the following requirements for transferring their membership
may become voting members:
- Each person must have been baptized and confirmed by men with God-given authority recognized by this Branch.
- A completed membership application shall be submitted to the pastor or his representative.
- A letter of transfer, indicating the person's membership is in good standing In his or her present branch, shall be submitted to the pastor or his representative, if possible. If not possible, a letter of explanation as to why the letter of transfer is not available shall be submitted to the pastor or his representative. Branch approval is required.
- All active membership with voting status and full privileges of the Buckner church facilities shall be reviewed by the membership committee and pastorate every 12 months to keep the active membership current. Those who move, change congregations, or become deceased, may be removed from the active membership roll.
Article III - Priesthood:
- The Branch priesthood will consider calls to Priesthood when the pastor by divine inspiration presents a man's name for elder, priest, teacher, of deacon. The name shall be presented for prayerful consideration a minimum of two weeks prior to the regular priesthood meeting. If approved by the priesthood, approval by the branch is also required. The man’s name and office shall be printed in the bulletin two weeks before the presentation to the branch. (Doctrine and Covenants 27:4)
- Priesthood transferring to this branch shall be recommended by the pastorate and membership committee to the priesthood. The name shall be presented to the priesthood for prayerful consideration a minimum of two weeks prior to the regular priesthood meeting. If approved by the priesthood, their names shall be submitted to the branch for final approval. The man’s name and office shall be printed in the bulletin two weeks before the presentation to the branch.
- The pastorate has authority to use or allow priesthood from another branch to perform ordinances.
Article IV Governing Policies:
The Buckner Restoration Branch shall be organized and shall function as a "Branch" of the Church in accordance with the commandment of God as outlined in Scriptures.
Whereas the scriptures are very clear that the priesthood are to hold the keys of the Kingdom, therefore when the pastorate and a majority of the priesthood are in agreement on any one subject, especially on matters of an ecclesiastical nature, their leadership and counsel should be given prayerful consideration...nevertheless... all things must be done in order and by common consent in the church, by the prayer of faith (Doctrine and Covenants 27:4).
- Election of Pastor shall take place at a previously announced, regularly scheduled meeting of the Buckner Restoration Branch during the month of May of each year. One or more candidates shall be placed into nomination by the priesthood body and other nominations from the congregation shall be recognized. However, all nominees shall be presented to the congregation one week before election. The method of voting shall be by written ballot and voting shall continue until one man receives a majority of the vote. The term of office shall be for one year with a maximum of two consecutive years. The newly elected Pastor shall take office September 1st.
- Election of Branch Officers shall take place at a previously announced, regularly scheduled meeting of the Buckner Restoration Branch during the month of July and take office September 1st of each year.
- Approval of the Budget shall take place at a regularly scheduled meeting of the Branch during the month of January each year.
- Meetings for the purpose of conducting Branch business can be called as desired by the leadership of the Branch or by petition of a majority of voting membership.
- In order to provide the proper checks and balances in the government of the Buckner Restoration Branch, the Priesthood shall meet with the Pastor and his counselors on the first Monday of each month to assess both the spiritual and temporal condition of the congregation. The Pastor shall bring all matters, both spiritual and temporal, concerning the welfare of the congregation, before the Priesthood body for consideration.
- After the consideration of the Priesthood, if needed, they shall make their recommendation to the voting membership for its' approval.
Records for the Branch:
- Records shall be kept of all ordinances performed under the authority of the Branch by its duly elected Branch Recorder. Records of all minutes of all business meetings shall also be maintained in safekeeping by the duly elected Branch secretary. (Duplicate copies shall be kept by at least one other appointed person within the Branch to guard against possible loss.) Minutes of all Priesthood meetings shall be taken and kept (whenever a vote in that body is to be taken) by the appointed Priesthood secretary.
- The Branch shall have authority to own property in the form of a building or other property. All such property shall be held in the name of the Branch. All purchases of such items shall be approved by the vote of the Branch.
Amendments to Bylaws:
- Any amendment to these bylaws shall be presented in writing to the branch at least two weeks before a vote is to be taken and a two-thirds majority shall be required for approval.
The 1999 Bylaws Revision Committee
Lee Bodiford, Dan Schoenemann, Bob Eppers
Bob Gilbert, Bud Logeman, Jim Rogers, Russell Beebe,
Steve Willey, E. J. Brown, David Van Fleet
Amended April 26,2009
Branch Business Meeting
Wedding Ceremonies and Related Activities
Branch Business Meeting, December 29, 2013
We believe that Scripture defines marriage as a sacred union between one man and one woman. The Branch has more particularly defined its positions, beliefs and scriptural understanding on what constitutes an authorized marriage in a document entitled “Policy Regarding Marriage”. Therefore, the “Policy Regarding Marriage” in its totality, and as it may be amended from time to time, is hereby incorporated by reference into the Buckner Restoration Branch Bylaws. As such, only wedding ceremonies and related activities that are in accordance with the “Policy Regarding Marriage” are allowed and authorized on any real properties which are owned, leased or managed by the Buckner Restoration Branch.